random craps...that is my life รำพึงรำพัน กระแสความคิดของปัจเจกชนบนโลกใบใหญ่

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Identity

Is "blogger's block" a word(s)? I mean, i had this symptoms that when I figured out to say something so clear in my mind but when i'm actually about to post it in my blog, i suddenly don't know how to begin. Maybe it's this write type screen with those luring buttons that distract me (~_~#)

Anyway, today I just had a thought about language and identity (as a result of cramming for my German literature core class, with language/truth/the self an overarching theme), beginning with a question that do I think i became more (like) American through the course of 5 years studying in the US. That's ambiguous because I still considered myself Thai and have this yearning for my home country, but surely my personality and way of thinking has obviously changed and stand a stark contrast to the mainstream. Anyway, what struck me is a response Youtube to a Thai band who attempted English in their lyric, he/she uses the word "that sounds FOBBISH" to describe it, and it came to my mind almost instantly that his/her way of commenting is particularly American! I actually find the pronunciation funny myself, but i'm sure that five years ago when I set foot in the US, I must have sounded probably even more fobbish. (haha)
But what I want to say is that from my impressions of people somewhere else, I somehow associate this logocentrism with Americans the most. I wondered if everywhere else in the US, outside science grad schools (where international students dominate) when people who speaks accented English is frowned upon. In my high school, I sensed a general expectation that if you come to the US, your english has to sound literate and more or less American. British and Australian are passable, but Singaporean, maybe not. and I found my friends from those countries assimilating their accents. Or else, you are considered somewhat--well--fobbish. In contrast, when I studied in Japan they never expected my Japanese to sound natural--or even that I can at all understand Japanese, let alone speak. (which is quite natural, i guess, because theirs is just a small isolated island country) Moreover, I befriended a few Germans there and when the wife of one of them came to visit, she said with a surprise "Oh, you speak very pretty American English." ....and so my reaction was like "What????" in my mind with a big question mark. Another incident is with a British guy I got to know in Kyoto, who complimented my English pronunciation was so surprisingly "flawless" and that he never met other foreigners who can speak English that well. (no, seriously he said that, which i thought was a joke. well, I hadn't talked long enough for him to recognize). but anyway, my point is, besides Americans, who else in this world expect a foreigner to speak like their locals? (among those exclude my blockmates and 50% of my university classmate though, but i have an impression that most place in America, it is such.) Along with it, i would just take positively as a good intention, may be the fact that many Americans regards newcomers as potential immigrants and hope these people assimilate, and that's why they use the word FOBBISH, when their english a bit funny. but i'd say not all of them are, so the use of "fobbish" is kinda lame.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home