random craps...that is my life รำพึงรำพัน กระแสความคิดของปัจเจกชนบนโลกใบใหญ่

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Back in the blogging circuit

It's been three months, I was nowhere to be found on the internet. I was just taking my
time to explore my new place, that is UC Berkeley. And of course, becoming a Ph.D. student is not quite an easy breezy thing.

I've joined Prof. Xiang Zhang's nanophotonics group here at Berkeley. There's been up and down with my graduate school experience, but overall it's quite pleasant,
especially getting to know and learn from the postdocs and my peers is a real plus. I'd like to elaborate on this (in particular on the topic of "the culture of U.S. academia") later.
Observing my friends' mid-graduate-school life crisis recently, my homework for now is to set straight my personal goals and working out ways to achieve them. Hopefully (keeping my finger-crossed), i'll stay focused on objectives and get out of grad school finally safe and sound. This waste of my youth had better be well worth it and with "some fun"! Without sacrificing my overall happiness.

enough of my rambling! you might not get what I was meaning, but the future entries on this block should aggregately add up to this comments in the next 4-5 years to come.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Hey Ong, I can completely understand your ONGoing mood (oh wow, this is my first pun in English, thanks Ong). My Ph.D. time was probably the hardest time I had in my whole life (or at least up to now because nobody knows what the future brings to us). Sometimes I really felt overloaded by all this stupid work and this detailed knowledge, which was overwhelming me. But I can tell you, it is like making a trip to an undiscovered world. First, it seems that you go along a never ending rocky road and you will feel lost (this gives you the experience, even if you can’t feel it at this moment), but then at a certain point you will discover your endless possibilities and you will see things nobody else on this small dirty planet (which is really dirty in each sense) has ever seen before. If you feel utter satisfaction at this moment, in all likelihood you will become a really good scientist in the future.
So keep going and don’t lose your happiness (horrific idea). Get a thrill out of your life as much as you can, even if your time seems limited. U can retake a class – but u can’t relive a party! I know it’s a stupid sentence but I love it (because it is unfortunately true).

10:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home